Mühlbastei gets its name only after the Ratsmühle has been built

The mill bastion (Mühlbastei) in Bautzen was built in the late Middle Ages. However, the bastion did not receive its name until 1535 at the earliest. At that time, the large council mill on the Spree was built at its feet on behalf of the city. Since it was a grain mill and the flour was brought up the hillside on donkeys, it has been popularly known as the donkey path until the present day.

Mühlbastei vom Reymannweg

Tower is out of use

The mill bastion (Mühlbastei) itself served exclusively as a defence tower in the south-western area of the city wall. But the technique of destruction continued to evolve, rendering the original meaning of the tower obsolete over time.

Mühlbastei vom Spreetal

Mühlbastei yesterday and today

The mill bastion (Mühlbastei) in Bautzen was built in the late Middle Ages. The destruction of the bastion during the World War II was all the worse, as numerous historical finds and documents were lost! After the reunification the ruin was sold into private hands and today it is a dwelling and guesthouse.

Bautzen-Gerberbastei mit Dom St. Petri und Nicolaiturm vom Schützenplatz

Guided Tours and Experiences in Bautzen

Stadtführung – Kunstspaziergang durch Bautzen

(0)

Besuch Alte Wasserkunst Bautzen

(0)

Event – Drei Türme, ein Fall – Der Türme-Krimi in Bautzen

(0)

Getränke, Häppchen und Konversation – Sektempfang in der Türme-Stadt

(0)

Stadtführung – Gruselabend in der Türme-Stadt

(0)

Erlebnis für Kinder: Das klingende, singende Türmchen

(0)